1 Utah Goldback Note - PrudentiaeRegular price $5.30
Currency Containing 1/1000th Oz .9999 Fine Gold
The Goldback is the world’s first voluntary currency to be made of a spendable, beautiful, small denomination, physical gold.
When the Utah Legal Tender Act passed in 2011, the state became the first in recent times to recognize certain forms of gold as legal tender. Gold once again established a level of official recognition as money.
Since then the technology for minting physical gold into a spendable form for small transactions has developed. The makers use cutting-edge vacuum deposition technology to layer each bill with .9999 fine gold in exacting quantities. Goldback bills carry a precise amount of pure gold between layers of polyester which makes them resilient and durable.
The Utah Goldback Series is the first Goldback Series to ever be produced. It was drawn by Cheri Jensen, a local Utah artist, who does beautiful, intricate work, despite being blind in one eye.
It tells a somewhat chronological story of Utah throughout the series progression, highlighting specific pivotal moments in its history before the settlement of the Mormon Pioneers, through the settlement of the area, and some historic moments pertaining thereto. The progression culminates in an idyllic future representation of reaching a type of transcendence toward which we are encouraged to aspire through the application of the virtues featured in the series.
These are each shown on one of the Goldback denominations as a backdrop for the Lady Virtue being portrayed and symbolized thereon. Please enjoy the Utah Goldback Series.
The Utah Goldback Series begins with the 1 Goldback Design, and it is filled with different symbols and cultural nods. The virtue Prudentiae, or Prudence, is featured here as a Native American woman, having many items and attributes traditionally attributed to coming from each of the five most prominent Native American tribes in Utah, namely: the Ute, Paiute, Goshute, Shoshone, and the Navajo.
About the Design:
Prudence is seated on a sandstone rock next to an ancient bristlecone pine tree (one of the longest-lived trees in the world), nodding to the throne that Prudence is traditionally seated upon, an elevated status as a virtue from which many virtues claim their origin, and the wisdom learned through the ages.
She is gazing into a mirror held in one hand, symbolizing perspective, learning from experience, and using hindsight. On her other wrist is a copper bracelet in the form of a snake, representing the struggle of trials as well as using wisdom to make choices. At her feet is a chipmunk, suggesting the preparations that they make each year ahead of winter as a symbol of prudence through preparedness.
The wolf is next to her, calling out to all who listen to use prudence, and how the use of gold is a keystone to an economy, just as the wolves of Yellowstone are keystone predators, and the removal of either has shown a deterioration of their surroundings.
The footing: “Deal Prudently” can also be found in the bottom right corner of the artwork. Finally, in the background, Bryce Canyon National Park’s Natural Bridge formation is shown with Canada geese flying in formation.
Goldbacks can be, and are, used for barter transactions with anyone who recognizes the value of gold.
Locations: Utah One Goldback
Gold Content: 1/1000th Troy Oz
Purity: .9999 Gold Layered On a Bill
Size: 11.7cm x 6.5cm - (4.61" x 2.56")
We take great pride in the way your order is packaged and delivered.
You can expect:
- Prompt Shipping – We ship orders shortly after your payment has been cleared – generally within 2 business days.
- Fully Insured – We fully insure all shipments with Lloyd's of London.
- Privacy – Your package will have no external markings that provide any clue as to the contents. Because we insure packages with Lloyd's of London, we do not declare a value or insure with the carrier.
- Accountability for Package Contents – Your order will be packed under video surveillance, weighed and double-checked prior to shipping to ensure you receive exactly what you ordered.
- Professional Packaging – Your order will be packaged securely and professionally.
- Tracking – We will provide you with the carrier's tracking number for your shipment so you can monitor its progress and plan for delivery.
- Signature Confirmation – Delivery carriers are instructed to request a signature upon delivery.