5 Nevada Goldback Note - SophiaRegular price $26.55
Containing 1/200th Oz .9999 Fine Gold
The Goldback is the world’s first voluntary currency to be made of a spendable, beautiful, small denomination, physical gold.
When the Utah Legal Tender Act passed in 2011, the state became the first in recent times to recognize certain forms of gold as legal tender. Gold once again established a level of official recognition as money.
Since then the technology for minting physical gold into a spendable form for small transactions has developed. The makers use cutting-edge vacuum deposition technology to layer each bill with .9999 fine gold in exacting quantities. Goldback bills carry a precise amount of pure gold between layers of polyester which makes them resilient and durable.
The bill features a beautiful image of Sophia, the Virtue Wisdom.
Goldbacks can be, and are, used for barter transactions with anyone who recognizes the value of gold.
The Virtue Sophia, or Wisdom, makes her first appearance here depicted as the Greek goddess of wisdom - Athena.
Sophia represents divine inspiration and progress and is found surrounded by numerous Nevada-specific symbols, inventions, technologies, and bastions of wisdom. These include several libraries and university buildings from the University of Las Vegas and the University of Nevada, the quartz mill from the State Seal, an antique Hoover Dam hard helmet, various books and scrolls, a wagon wheel, pen and ink, some books by Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), a silver mine car, the State’s No. 40 Locomotive, and many others.
Sophia is clothed in battle gear with her traditional raised helm, arm guards, and breastplate, and is armed with her shield and spear. The viewer will also find the traditional symbol of the owl shown on the gorget worn around her neck. Additionally, she is shown holding a pick axe, representative of the mining that was so influential in the development of the State.
Particularly of note is an open scroll depicting words from the 15th Amendment, significant because Nevada was the first state to adopt it, allowing equal rights to vote in the state, regardless of skin color.
Each Nevada Goldback Design contains a pillar, and Sophia can be found standing atop an open book supported by this design’s pillar bearing the motto of the Great Seal of Nevada, “All for Our Country.” Also present are Nevada’s Mountain Bluebird, and the White Pine, a nod to mountainous and rural White Pine County along the central, eastern boundary of the State.
Locations: Nevada Goldback
Gold Content: 1/200th Troy Oz
Purity: .9999 Gold Layered On a Bill
Size: 13.0cm x 6.5cm (5.12" x 2.56")
We take great pride in the way your order is packaged and delivered.
You can expect:
- Prompt Shipping – We ship orders shortly after your payment has been cleared – generally within 2 business days.
- Fully Insured – We fully insure all shipments with Lloyd's of London.
- Privacy – Your package will have no external markings that provide any clue as to the contents. Because we insure packages with Lloyd's of London, we do not declare a value or insure with the carrier.
- Accountability for Package Contents – Your order will be packed under video surveillance, weighed and double-checked prior to shipping to ensure you receive exactly what you ordered.
- Professional Packaging – Your order will be packaged securely and professionally.
- Tracking – We will provide you with the carrier's tracking number for your shipment so you can monitor its progress and plan for delivery.
- Signature Confirmation – Delivery carriers are instructed to request a signature upon delivery.