50 South Dakota Goldback Note - LibertasRegular price $265.40
Currency Containing 1/20th Oz .9999 Fine Gold
The Goldback is the world’s first voluntary currency to be made of a spendable, beautiful, small denomination, physical gold.
When the Utah Legal Tender Act passed in 2011, the state became the first in recent times to recognize certain forms of gold as legal tender. Gold once again established a level of official recognition as money.
Since then the technology for minting physical gold into a spendable form for small transactions has developed. The makers use cutting-edge vacuum deposition technology to layer each bill with .9999 fine gold in exacting quantities. Goldback bills carry a precise amount of pure gold between layers of polyester which makes them resilient and durable.
South Dakota is the 5th state to be commemorated on Goldback bills. According to the Sound Money Defense League, the state ranks second in the nation in the effort to restore honest money.
The capstone Virtue for locations in the United States, Libertas, is always represented on the 50 Goldback Denomination. In the South Dakota Series Design, Libertas is inspired by the Lady Freedom statue in D.C., lending from the symbolism of that depiction. She holds a bared sword in her right hand before a shield in her left. Both are raised, indicating a readiness to protect her own. The shield bears her name with a depiction of the South Dakota flag’s sun above and below reads the inscription “Under God the People Rule”, which is South Dakota’s state motto. Her crested helmet along with her shield and sword come from symbols commonly associated with the Roman goddesses Minerva and Bellona.
About the Design:
The skull of an American bison rests at Liberty's feet. It is painted with the Lakota Sioux Medicine Wheel, meant to represent all the native people in South Dakota, the Dakota, Lakota, and Nakota. It is in the shape of a circle and the directional lines and feathers that accompany it are a symbol of hope and healing for those who seek it. The bison’s skull also represents the sacred nature of how this particular animal’s life would historically be given and its entire body would be used completely to become the source of life for many others. These symbols are placed atop a depiction of a freesia flower cluster, which stands for peace, friendship, and innocence.
Below Libertas is a depiction of a person fishing for walleye, the state fish, against the backdrop of the cliffs and water of Palisades State Park. Behind Liberty’s right shoulder is an illustration of the South Dakota State Capitol. The famous Needles formations, located in the Black Hills within Custer State Park, can also be seen in the background. Above her is a representation of Mount Rushmore. South Dakota is the home of this major monument to America, freedom and hope. Liberty exhorts us, as always, with the inscription to “Stand Fast in Liberty”.
Location: South Dakota Fifty Goldbacks
Gold Content: 1/20th Troy Ounce 24K Gold
Purity: .9999 Gold Layered On a Bill
Size: 3 in (7.6 cm) width 7 in (17.75 cm) height
We take great pride in the way your order is packaged and delivered.
You can expect:
- Prompt Shipping – We ship orders shortly after your payment has been cleared – generally within 2 business days.
- Fully Insured – We fully insure all shipments with Lloyd's of London.
- Privacy – Your package will have no external markings that provide any clue as to the contents. Because we insure packages with Lloyd's of London, we do not declare a value or insure with the carrier.
- Accountability for Package Contents – Your order will be packed under video surveillance, weighed and double-checked prior to shipping to ensure you receive exactly what you ordered.
- Professional Packaging – Your order will be packaged securely and professionally.
- Tracking – We will provide you with the carrier's tracking number for your shipment so you can monitor its progress and plan for delivery.
- Signature Confirmation – Delivery carriers are instructed to request a signature upon delivery.